Friday, August 11, 2017

A Happening for fabulouslyflawedminiatures...

Happening for fabulouslyflawedminiatures

My minis were featured in Dollhouse World,  August 2017 Issue. I am always so grateful for this wonderful opportunity to showcase my minis. Thank you so much, Dollhouse World!!







Thursday, August 3, 2017

Making Hinges for Your Mini Furniture...

Muslin Hinges...

I haven't had much time to work on building minis this summer, however I did manage to get in a simple tutorial. I have loaded up on supplies and looking forward to getting back to creating at the beginning of September.
Hope you all are having a wonderful, adventurous summer.

-Anita

Miniature Dollhouse Storage Bench with Muslin Hinges
by Anita Smiley for fabulouslyflawedminiatures
Flowers and Container by Anita Smiley
Letter Set by Looking Glass Miniature
Wooden Chest with Ballerina Shoes
by Anita Smiley
for fabulouslyflawedminiatures


I found the hinges for miniatures to be a little big and I am not a fan of the gold color. So I came up with a simple way to make them so that they match whatever project I'm working on.  The best part is these are very easy to work with and super cheap to make!

Here's what you need:
Muslin Fabric
Glue and Water
Paint Brush
Jewelry Pin
Small metal cutter
Paint

1/2 inch strip of Muslin. I use a thicker Muslin when I'm working on hinges.

Simple Glue Bath, water and tacky glue mixed, then painted on the fabric strip.

This is the strip after the glue bath has dried. Nice and stiff. 

I painted a small area the color of the furniture piece. I have used a rusting technique on the strip and it
works wonderfully too. 

Once the paint has dried I cut out small hinges, basically a rectangle with a little square inside. 

I add a little Krazy Glue to the sides of the hinges to glue the pin. Once dry, I cut the pin to the size of
the hinges.

…then I glue the hinges to the furniture piece.  I like the pin burnt bronze color, but you can paint it
if you like. This is good time to do any touch ups. 

I usually go in and touch up the interior as well to cover up any glue.
Looks great, works perfectly and super cheap!

Done!



Miniature Dollhouse Storage Chest by Anita Smiley for
fabulouslyflawedminiatures






Thursday, July 13, 2017

Practicing Flower Techniques...

A few months ago I spent a few weeks working on flowers. These are made with crape paper that I water colored in different shades of orange and yellows. 
Still playing around, but getting better.



Shades of orange and yellow flowers in miniatures



Miniature Dollhouse Flowers by Anita Smiley
for fabulouslyflawedminiatures

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Fabric Bread Basket...

This is what happens when you have a little person sick with a cold. You sit around making (testing out) miniature bread baskets and emptying a trash can full of runny nose paper every few minutes. 👃

Miniature Dollhouse Fabric Bread Basket

Thursday, June 22, 2017

New Photo Booth Fun...

Playing around with my new photo booth. Created a little movie so that you can see the set up and the name of the booth. I also took a few photos with my iPhone. I did nothing to the photos other than crop the size, they are coming out very crisp and sharp. 

All bedding, table, flowers and flower vase by fabulouslyflawedminiatures.
Books by Looking Glass Miniatures and cute hand stitched pillow by
Kitty and Kat Miniatures.

video



Monday, June 19, 2017

Vintage Inspired Mannequin 1:12 Scale...

I finished the vintage tea stained mannequin today. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I see some room for improvements in a few areas.

I still have a few more to work on from this group, but finding it difficult to do anything now that school is out. Not so bad though, get to spend fun time with my girl.




Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Getting Closer to the Look...

I'm getting closer to the look that I am going for on the mannequins. I love that numbered vintage look. Of course it's super scary marking up your "almost" finished work. So I needed time to figure how what to do. Here's one idea (below) that I feel pretty good about. It still needs something, I'm thinking maybe a little tea stain on the fabric to make the number look as though it's been there a while. I will give that a try this week.
I also purchased a few "no bleed" markers (thank' you Kat). Need to play around with them a little more (will show the results once I get something good).

Here's a peek (will see what happens when I do light tea stains)

Working on number vintage style mannequins
by Anita Smiley for fabulouslyflawedminiatures