Thursday, March 20, 2014

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint for Miniatures

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Wax

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Colors

There are tons of posts regarding Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Some people love it, some people think it’s over rated. I am somewhere in the middle. I first discovered Chalk paint while researching colors for my home update. I was really tired of some of the wood pieces I have. After reading several blogs, I discovered I could really transform my furniture without spending a fortune. 

I searched high and low in the Bay Area for Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint.  I could not find a retailer, so on to the Internet. I was amazed at the cost of a quart size can, but went ahead and purchased 2 cans of white, a few specialty brushes, the clear and the dark wax. Yes, it was super pricey.

After a few days, I received my order. I looked at the paint and wanted to get started…it didn’t happen.  I was too afraid to paint my wood pieces. I was not ready for a house full of white furniture!  So the paint sat, and sat, and sat… until I started my miniature journey. I could build beautiful dollhouse furniture, daringly apply my white chalk paint, start a blog, pin tons of pictures on Pinterest, and eventually sell my pieces on Etsy(starting in April-May).  Hence the story of how fabulouslyflawedminiatures got started. 

I have made several miniature pieces and have almost gone through one quart of Annie Sloan White Chalk Paint. It is true, 1 coat is never enough. I tend to paint, sand, paint, sand, and then paint and sand again before I began my waxing.  It’s a little work, remember, I’m working in 1:12 scale. After the  distressing (crackle finish works well with this paint), a little AS clear wax and some AS dark wax here and there. The result is smooth and beautiful. It really does create a Shabby Chic/Cottage look.  I'm always happy with my piece after using Annie Sloan Paint.

Recently I found a dealer in the Bay Area, Artistic Home Studio in Alameda, CA They carry all the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint colors in quart and sample sizes, as well as offer classes for those who are interested in learning different paint techniques.

I’m not ready to give up my acrylics yet. There are way too many colors available! Further, there’s a simple recipe for homemade chalk paint (listed below). You can mix a few batches at a time, fairly cheap.

I enjoy working with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and I love the colors for my minis, but I guess I'm just not daring enough to live with a house full of white furniture.  

Do It Yourself Chalk Paint Recipie Card


No comments:

Post a Comment