Saturday, April 12, 2014

Miniature Molds

Playing around with molds and clay

Yesterday, I got a late start, so I decided I would play around with clay. I have many obsessions when it comes to miniatures, perfecting the cupcake is high on the list. I found a web site that suggested, if you use wire covers (see picture below), you can get the "perfect" cupcake…off to Ace Hardware I go.  Here's what I did.

Make a mold using Amazing Mold Putty and the wire cover to get the shape of the bottom of the cupcake. I made a cupcake mold sheet (as seen below), so I could create 8-9 cupcakes at one time.

This putty is Amazing!
Wire covers used to shape the bottom of the cupcake
Mold made with Amazing putty and wire covers


Tip: Brush the mold with cornstarch before using the clay.
Once the Amazing Mold Putty is dry, brush the cupcake holes with cornstarch, then fill with clay.  Make sure you push the clay in the mold to get all the detail. I use a mascara brush to create texture, then brush with colored chalk around the edges to give each cupcake that "baked" look.  Put the mold in the freezer for about 5 minutes (it makes it super easy to remove the cupcakes from the mold).

Mold filled with clay, mascara brush used to add texture


Pastels brushed on edges, ready for the freezer


After you remove the mold from the freezer, you can bend it slightly, then use a needle at an angle to remove each cupcake. Some of the cupcakes were taller than wanted, I just pushed them down on the baking sheet, then went back over them with the mascara brush. I also smoothed the sides with my finger. Bake the cupcakes at 250 for about 8 minutes.


Remove the cupcakes at an angle with a needle


Of the nine, I think this one (after smoothing) is pretty much what I was looking for. Now I have to figure out how to create the cupcake paper cup look.

Good detail and size #miniature cupcake


No comments:

Post a Comment